Monday, September 9, 2013

To Bonus Room or Not to Bonus Room... that is the question

There are countless options with a new build.  So many that it would make your head spin.  Things like the color of the door knobs can change in price.  Things that I took for granted such as having crown molding in my current kitchen cabinets, is an option with a price attached to it in the new home.  So we had to think logically about the options and be certain that we were not adding something to the mortgage that was over priced and we could get cheaper ourselves (e.g.. Fridge, Washer/Dryer) or could do later cheaper with a contractor (e.g. granite counter tops in the bathrooms). 

Some things were mandatory... I refused to have a kitchen that was less than the kitchen I have now and that morning room was an easy decision. 

Where things got a little fuzzy.. was the Bonus Room.  Ryan offers an additional room on the second floor next to the Master Bedroom called the Bonus Room.  The purpose of the room from the pictures is a TV room or a play room, craft room or whatever the homeowner wants (even an additional bedroom if needed). 

When we first started looking at Ryan Homes I thought that would be a nice room.  But then I thought but what then would we do with a Family Room and Basement?   So, I never expressed interest in the Bonus Room to Rob.  I just ignored that option. 

One day while we were driving, Rob says.  I have been thinking about the Bonus Room.  I want it.  I like the way it changes the architecture of the house.  So, although I had thought about it, I played the opposition.  I confessed that I had thought about it but was certain that it is costly and a space that will not be used.  Meanwhile all I hear in my head is make it another closet... closet... CLOSET!!!!!!

Although it was difficult we have come to our senses and recognize that there really isn't a use for that room.  We are not a growing family and extra space means wasted space elsewhere like the Family Room or Basement. 


No comments:

Post a Comment